The raven caws three times and then the rain falls. Heaven’s sky tears down with a beautiful viciousness. Above my head, I study the layers of silt and dust on the avocado leaves. I think this is the accumulated detritus of this past summer’s volcanic eruption.
It was a summer deadened by the horror of wars scattered without rhyme or reason upon this pristine cobalt orb we call home, a summer of threats against one nation or another by one nation or another, a summer of soccer moms down on hope but high on crank cruising Meth Street USA, a summer where blacks are living more and more in their own world, while whites are living more and more in theirs, and they never kiss anymore.
It was a summer of polar bears without homes, coyotes lying motionless on the side of the road, and giant blue whales washing up lifeless upon California’s shores. I confess, my spine had almost fused with futility, until the rain came.
- THE HAWK & THE RAVEN written by SCOTT UTLEY (planetlobster.wordpress.com)
- THIS MOON TONIGHT written by SCOTT UTLEY #12/33 POEMS FOR THE NINTH MUSE (ladylivvi1.wordpress.com)
- Jon Utley on Terrorism and Panicked Responses to Radiation (reason.com)
- Mike Utley starts a new life off the field (todayinsportshistory365.wordpress.com)
- Chase Utley Donates Knees to Children’s Hospital – Doctors Say Child Will Never Walk Again (phalsephillysports.wordpress.com)
- The Real Utley (theyellowseats.wordpress.com)
- Jon Utley on Terrorism and Panicked Responses to Radiation (ivoter.com)
- THE LIVING MOMENT: I ONLY MARK THE MOMENTS THAT SHINE with LITTLE EDIE BEALE & YOUR HOST THIS EVENING, SCOTT UTLEY OCTOBER 22, 2013. HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA. (planetlobster.wordpress.com)